Sunday, March 7, 2010

Valiant Air Command Warbird Museum


Another item off the Bucket List.

We visited the Warbird Museum yesterday morning. Anticipating concrete hangars, I knew that the morning would be a challenge to the knee. At the ticket counter, Bob asked how old visitors have to be to get the senior discount. When told that the age was 60, he noted that I would be 60 in a few months. I expected some kind of disbelief on the part of the cashier, but no, just a cheerful decision to give me me the $3 discount. Already deflated, I wasn't ready to be offered a wheelchair by our spry but definitely older volunteer tour guide. I guess I looked worse than I felt, so I immediately straightened up and tried appear lively.

The museum was, Bob thought, better than any of the many such facilities we have visited in the past. I decided about an hour into the experience in information overload that this may be my last plane museum. I could have used that wheelchair too, but instead I plopped myself down in front of the video playing in the last hangar. The phrase that came to mind was "in my mind I can't study war ... no more". Had to look up the lyrics to Save the Country. I didn't share my thoughts with my Bob, who was happily learning the long history of the Tico Belle, a veteran of the Normandy landings and the Berlin airlifts, among many other missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment