Sunday, March 7, 2010

Beautiful Day ... Summer is Coming

Our last day in Cocoa Beach has been lovely so far. We woke early for an early out to 8AM Mass: we were in no mood to stand this week, so we were at church by 7:30. The pews filled rapidly, though there were no standees today.

We had breakfast at the Simply Delicious Cafe and Bakery that Bob remembered from a previous visit. And sure enough, our meals (quiche & fruit for me, eggs, sausage & toast for Bob) did not disappoint. Even the coffee was almost as good as our Dunn Brothers coffee at home. After breakfast, we headed for the beach across from Patrick Air Force Base, where Bob smoked a cigar and I went for a walk along the water, forgetting my cane but managing to walk a fair distance before turning back. I'm giving myself 8 city blocks in all; Bob is crediting me with only 4. Maybe if he'd walked the distance he'd feel differently!

We enjoyed watching the surfers, listening to the waves crash against the beach. By 1 PM or so, the sun was actually really hot and I threw my jacket in the back seat of the car. Instead of lunch, we had a couple of drinks at a new restaurant in Port Canaveral, Milliken's Reef. We sat outside in a kind of sandbox, enjoying the music of the Bottoms Up Band.

By the time we returned to the hotel, it was late afternoon and time for a last long swim in the pool. I closed my eyes and I imagined myself back in Minnesota, enjoying the summer sun. Time to go home. We're told that spring is coming ... can summer be far behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment