Friday, March 5, 2010

Spanish Tutorial

A year ago the young women in the little store at Las Brisas in Ixtapa worked with me on my elementary Spanish. My comprehension must have improved over the year -- thanks to Univision and a little work on my Spanish in the Dominican Republic.

I am always a little hesitant to speak Spanish unless I really have to: I got that opportunity on Sunday, when Bob asked the lady who cleans our room if he can get heat in here. That was before we toughened up and  got used to the cold weather. Azucena didn't understand what he meant, so I attempted to explain in Spanish. Since then, we have had little conversations every day, during which she gently corrects my grammar and supplies words, when necessary. I think we both enjoy the exchange.

Today, Bob said "adios" and Azucena was delighted, saying that he has a good accent and has to speak more Spanish. I think she belongs in our schools, encouraging students to improve second language skills by making ordinary conversation about everyday things.

No comments:

Post a Comment