Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Too Cold for Manatees

On Sunday, we were disappointed not to see any manatees at the manatee viewing area. Although another would-be visitor walking back from the riverside told us it was too cold, I was skeptical and we trudged on -- it was quite a distance for me on an unpaved road, but I hand't come this far to miss the manatees. No luck, but I did get some good pictures of Haulover Canal.


Yesterday morning, I saw a news item on the manatees struggling to stay warm during this frigid winter. Some have been rescued, rehabilitated and released into the warmer water of southern Florida. Many others have died. The smart ones have stayed in the 72-degree water of Blue Spring State Park, northwest of here. Of course, I want to go there ... but I think that trip might not be in the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment